Friday, January 30, 2009

Today is the Day......No not the Lincoln Brewster song

For those of you who know me well know that today, January 30th, has been marked on my calender for several weeks.

This is the day that the company I have worked for for 15 1/2 years will inform its sales force who has been severed and who has been retained. Cuts are expected to be in the 50-60% range. Our managers found out their fate on Wednesday. My manager, who is not just my boss, but a really good friend of mine, was retained, but in a different position. That means that even if I am retained, he won't be my manager any longer.

Now, lots of people might be bitter about this "restructuring", but to be honest with you, if I was in the CEOs position, I'd be doing the same thing. What my company is doing is right for the company/stock holders, right for our industry, and right for our customers. Is it brutal? Yes. Are people's worlds going to be turned upside down? Definitely. But it is a good move and, even if I'm let go, it's still the right move for the company. There are 4 of us that work in this area(and 2 unfilled positions), all great people and fantastic at their jobs. There may only be 2 left at the end of the day. It won't be easy, but it will be right.

I truly believe God has a plan in all of this and I have faith that it will be what's best for me and my family, either way. As a matter of fact, this has been more of a faith solidifier than a faith tester. At the end of the day, I'm excited about the potential for new opportunities.

So.........I'll blog later about the end result of the day. I just ask you to remember everyone enduring these uncertain economic times in your prayers and for God's guidance for each of them.

No comments: