Friday, May 23, 2008

It's Friday!!!

You know, it's sad that I didn't realize that this was a holiday weekend until Tuesday of this week. I really wanted to take the family home to DeLeon on Memorial Day weekend to see my parents since we haven't been there since Christmas, but it just snuck up on me and we've got so much to do that we can't go. I am a horrible son. I talk to my parents every week, several times per week most of the time, but to not take the time to go visit them in person stinks. With all the activities the kids are in, my commitments to the church (teaching Sunday School, running sound), etc., I guess I let those things take priority over my own parents sometimes. It also denies two other things as well: 1) my parents opportunity to see their grand kids, and more importantly, 2) my kids getting to know and spend more quality time with their grandparents (who are phenomenal people, by the way). My dad just turned 68 years old and my mom will be 68 in a couple of weeks. They are both in good health, relatively speaking, but after a friend of mine lost his mom on Mother's Day, it has really made me more conscious of how precious time is and the importance of continuing to invest it in my relationship with them. Got to do a better job. My mom and dad are great people who raised 3 boys in a Christian home, taught them to be conscientious people, and most of all, to be followers of Christ by actively having us in church and through the example of how they have lived their lives. I love them because they are my parents, of course, but also I love them because the Christian people they are. They freakin' ROCK!!!

I will make this pledge today: in the next month, I will go visit my parents.

No comments: