Friday, May 30, 2008

The Traveling Wilburys



I just came in from cooking food for the local Project Celebration, turned on my tv, and was doing that guy thing, cruising through the entire range of channels on the guide. I saw something called The History of the Traveling Wilburys on the Sundance Channel and had to check it out. Unfortunately, it was only 30 minutes long.

Now, if you've forgotten about the Wilburys, as I had, check out this line-up: George Harrison (The Beatles), Jeff Lynn (ELO), Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison. Holy Smokes!!! Does it get any better than that? This was just a short documentary of sorts of the making of their first cd in 1988 and how they did it, with no ego, no pretense, all fun, all friendship. 5 of the icons of their industry and individual era's and they all came together (George Harrison's idea) to make music, share in the writing, share in the singing, share in the playing. It took 6 weeks from start to final mix. Spectacular.

Unfortunately, Roy Orbison passed away a short time later and wasn't on the second Wilbury cd, and now George Harrison has passed away as well. Two of the five are no longer with us. Great losses, both.

I think I will go find these cds since they have been remastered and re-released and really go back and listen. Here is a great website that tells the history of this group and really gave me a greater appreciation for this collection of talent.

What do you think about the Wilburys? Is it a greater appreciation after the fact as it is for me?

2 comments:

Todd Wright said...

With a lineup like that, they couldn't help but be awesome.

Artie said...

I was a big Beatles fan (who isn't now)...but I can remember singing "I want to hold your hand" when I was 4 or 5 and I remember being amazed by the Sgt. Pepper's album when it came out..not just the music but the album cover.. E.L.O. What the heck was that..rock music with all the orchestration.. I still have several "LP's" of theirs. Roy Orbison considered one of the most beautiful voices in music. Although I've never been a big Dylan fan no doubt he has adjusted the direction of music forever..so many are influenced by him. Tom Petty? I still remember the Heartbreakers videos. MTV when they actually showed music videos... Refugee I think was the first but "You got Lucky" was my fav for some reason.. Loved the guitar solo.

I'm kinda like you Chris. When it was happening I thought it was just a neat thing but looking back.. wow, amazing.