Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Did I really just see that?

Have you ever had that experience where you see something and say to yourself, "Did I really just see that?" Here about two weeks ago, I saw something and knew I had to blog on it. Unfortunately, I've just now gotten around to it.

I was working in Nac and had just pulled into the parking lot of an office I was about to go into. Of course I was talking on the phone when I pulled in, this time to Mike Tyson, our Associate Pastor of all people. Anyway, I pulled into a parking spot on the side of the office facing the business across a side street next door. It's about 9-9:30 in the morning and there is one pick-up in the front parking lot at the business across the street pulled straight in with the tailgate facing the loop, the main road with lots of traffic. As I'm talking to Mike, I noticed an older (I'd say 65-75) gentleman walk out of the store and open the door to his pickup. Now understand, I'm not really paying attention to what is going on, I'm just talking on the phone while something arbitrarily goes on in front of me. I all of a sudden became aware of a puddle underneath the pick up and randomly thought, it's August, it's a little condensation from the pickup. But then I realized the man had the door to his pickup open and was standing in between the door and the pickup. My next thought was "nuh uh, surely not". And he stepped out from his door and zipped up his pants. I guess he thought, being between the door and truck and all, he was hidden, but he was literally facing the loop for all of Nac to see.

My comment to Mike at the time was, "I'm not believing I'm seeing this." And my next thought was a line from that great guy movie, Braveheart:

FREEDOM!!!!!!!

What a way to start a day. Hilarious.

2 comments:

david said...

i'm adding that to my list of things to do when i'm im my 70s.

Artie said...

My dear old dad has passed but folks from that generation seemed to live by this privacy standard.

I can't count the number of times that we stopped on the side of the road when I was a kid and that was all he did...stand between the vehicle and the door.

Did it myself as a youngster.. maybe I'll follow david's lead when I'm a couple of decades older and enjoy that freedom event again.