Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Everything You Want in a Pastor? Or Not?

I was on my way to a meeting at my boss's house Tuesday, in Tyler, in the rain, hoping I'd get to run by Bethel and see my long, lost friend Todd, who left Lufkin recently for bigger, lusher, greener pastures and I had to stop to refuel my travel mug with coffee(cup #3 for the morning, thank you). Right where you turn off of Hwy 69 North to go East to Dave's house on FM 346, there is a convenience store on the West side of 69. I pulled in. Ran into my colleague(never thought I'd ever have a colleague) Paul, who was picking up a 12-pack of the post-coffee, rest of the day, Diet Coke for our meeting. After I walked out of the store, in which the nice lady at the counter didn't charge me for my coffee(love her) and just told me to have a great day, I walked out, got in my closest-thing-to-maroon-I-could-get Ford Edge, and pulled out on FM 346 and ended up behind a pretty, new, black, 4-wheel drive, Chevy Tahoe. Here it is.


Now let's go down the check list of coolness assuming by several things in the picture that this just might be a Holy man, a man of God:

1) License Plate: BRO LOU If he's a pastor, points for coolness in the mode of Rob Bell glasses.

2) Black Tahoe: Well, it's a new Black Tahoe. Points for the Tahoe, points for it being black. Cool package all the way around.

3) 4-Wheel Drive: Manly pastor can go places others can't.

4) Flex Fuel: Green pastor concerned with the environment and ending our dependence on foreign oil. (or it was just part of the package some salesman at the dealership convinced him he needed)

5) Fish symbol: Everybody has 'em these days, heck I've got 4 on one vehicle, but, you know, when you put it on a Black 4-wheel drive Flex-Fuel Tahoe, with BRO LOU on it, it just adds to the package.

6) Titleist Sticker: A golfing Pastor. Huge points in my book. I don't really know why I give him points, but I am a golf fan and Titleist fan, so I guess that is worth something, isn't it?


Now I could be totally off base here. Might be a pagan blues singer. Named Lou. From Tyler. Who likes to go muddin'. Who enjoys fishing. And golfing. And is concerned about the price of unleaded gas.


If he is a pastor, does anybody else give him cool points? Or is he over the top?


And if anybody knows this fellow, um, I thought it was cool, um, just for the record.

No comments: